A banana a day gets miracles your way!
Nature has blessed us with vitamins, minerals, fibers, and carbohydrates through fruits. We should always consider eating fruits as they have several health benefits. The top five most commonly consumed fruits in the world are tomatoes, bananas, watermelons, apples, and grapefruits.
Banana, the fruit of two wild species – Musa Acuminate and Musa Balbisiana, originated in Southeast Asia and South Pacific and is believed to be the first cultivated fruit in the world. Botanically a berry, banana stands second among the five fruits – and for a good reason. It is found and stored easily, delicious, inexpensive, and comes in its own packaging. And above all, they are very healthy for you.
Banana is rich in potassium and magnesium and a good source of carbohydrates, fibers, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B6. The potassium present in the fruit aids in reducing muscle cramps, promoting bone health. It maintains healthy blood pressure and protects the heart as well. It has a lower water content than other fruits.
An average banana contains natural sugar around 12-14 grams (amount per 100 grams), and hence they do not have the same impact as that of processed sugar. Fruit sugar proportion is balanced with fibre that helps maintain the blood glucose level in the body. This wealth of nutrients in banana makes it a Superfood.
Health Benefits of Bananas are as follows:
1) Depression is an altered state, involving a deficiency of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that influences mood and behavior. The serotonin in bananas doesn’t cross the blood-brain barrier, which means it cannot make the brain to supplement the naturally produced serotonin.
2) Banana has tryptophan (precursor for serotonin), which is a happy brain chemical. It contributes to well-being, and being a natural anti-depressant can treat insomnia, anxiety, depression, aggression, anger, and irritability.
3) Banana supports a healthy vision and detoxifies your body. It has 1 % Vitamin A and C, both of which are eye and skin- healthy nutrients. Banana is also rich in pectin, making it a natural detox. Pectin limits the amount of fat your body cells can absorb, and thus it aids with rapid weight loss.
4) Banana power up our brains. Potassium packed fruit helps to learn because it makes the pupils more alert. Students find more brainpower while performing in an exam when they eat a banana at breakfast or lunch. Banana, containing B6, promotes secretion of serotonin and Dopamine, which support concentration and enhance memory.
5) It supports a healthier digestive system. Banana is an excellent source of prebiotics, nondigestible carbohydrates acting as food for good bacteria, and improve digestion because it contains “Fructooligosaccharides (a cluster of fructose molecule)” which leads to better gastrointestinal health.
6) Banana helps regulate the bowel system since it is high in soluble fibers, which are claimed to relieve constipation and helps to maintain regular bowel function.
7) Potassium present in bananas and other vital minerals and vitamins reduces the effect of nicotine both physically and psychologically. Hence, it helps quit smoking.
8) The banana supplies necessary carbohydrates to replace muscle glycogen, which can boost energy levels in your body. Even during a workout, our muscles use up the glycogen and leave them partially exhausted. It is essential to store sodium and potassium in the tissue so that we do not break down and get fatigued. Eating a banana before and post-workout helps you enhance recovery, restore glycogen, and support muscle regeneration. It also benefits athletes on a vast scale.
9) Some physical health benefits are:
- Acts as a natural antacid
- Treats Asthma
- Reduces the risk of heart disease
- Protects against ulcers
- Has nutrients for keeping the kidneys healthy
10) Banana promotes and adds vitamin B9 (even known as folate) to your life, which may fight depression. Some studies believe that eating a banana can alleviate depression, producing a “happy hormone” dopamine. Dopamine controls our brain pleasure centers. This makes Banana a Happy Fruit.
Moreover, the peels of the banana are also beneficial:
- Whitens teeth
- Cures acne
- Reduces wrinkles
- Relieves pain
- Soothes insect bite
- Helps with skin-glow
I prefer the mini bananas, and if you ever feel low, grab a banana. It will always smile at you!